Thursday, May 14, 2009

Does anyone else have whiplash?

First of all, with all that is going on I want to emphasize that the GOP does not need a massive makeover. We had an unpopular president, unpopular war and a lousy economy. We need to ensure that someone is there to pick up the pieces when this all comes crashing down. That is all that we can do.

Yes, a political party is made up of its people. But at the same time, if this group of people do not stick to their principles, we all will loose. Here is a list of acceptable compromises.

1. We will probably never be able to outlaw abortion at this time. What we need to to is find out who is getting abortions and why. It can't all be teen-aged girls. Rather than outlawing abortion, the approach should move to preventing abortion.

2. We may not be able to stop gay marriage; but if I, as a minister in my faith, do not want to perform gay marriage I should be able to choose to say "not in my church". I have been hearing uncomfortable rumors of all sorts. There should be no consequences for religious beliefs. The first amendment was meant to keep the state out of the church. My fear is that people do not see it this way.

3. If I go to the doctor with what I suspect is the flu and the doctor tells me to go home and rest...nothing more. There is no reason to have to file an insurance claim. Making the average income, I should be able to pay this fee out of pocket. That is what marketing is. Here is my idea...build a new health care system around this model.

4. The economy will get better, even if the government does nothing. Sometimes, nothing is the right thing to do. Since the layoffs have been broad...it seems to make sense to do more to help people start their own businesses. There is all sorts of idle talent right now. It seems like a good time. We will pay for the do something, anything approach of the last year. We will pay dearly.

5. Service in Congress was never meant to be a lifetime calling...we need a term limits ammendment.