Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The 7 Deadly Sins of the GOP.

It's over. Congratulations to President Elect Barack Obama. It's alright to cry.

This election was not lost in the past 3 months. I was lost about 3 years ago, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. It was then that Republicans in Congress and George W. Bush fell away from their principles. It was then that the GOP congress abandoned the President and it was then that the President abandoned Congress. It was then that I sat here at my computer and sent an email to Senator Hatch and Senator Bennett asking them to support the embattled President. Senator Hatch did not reply. Senator Bennett told me it was the President who abandoned the GOP and caved to media pressure.

I have learned the hard way that when you give into pride, lust, greed, gluttony, sloth, deceit and envy that there is only so much that any government, church, company or individual can do for you. Republicans need to learn these lessons from this election. Democrats never will.

Regular readers of this blog know that it is our two distinguished Utah senators that I have dedicated this blog to...in the hopes that if they go the way of Ted Stevens that they will be replaced by Republicans. Here are the 7 deadly sins that Republicans and Americans have fallen prey to and why we need avoid the temptation to step aside.

1. Pride. I am not speaking about being proud of your kids for making the honor roll. (BTW--I am proud of my kid for making the honor roll. Good job, Emma!) But being to proud to make needed changes. Limbaugh, Hanity, Ingram and others have progclaimed themselves Reagan Republicans and espoused ideas that would embarrass Mr. Reagan...such as the most unforgiving type of immigration reform. Ronald Reagan would have never been elected if he was as conservative as Rush claims he was. We need to be true to priciples, but we also need to adapt to the changing times.

2. Envy. We are envious of the popularity that some democrats get by throwing around tax money that we begin to do it as well. We do not need that type of popularity. We will be elected again by being true fiscal conservatives. By maintianing the belief that government money is not the solution to evry problem in the known universe, we will gain power agian.

3. Glottony. To have true health care reform, the providers and the provider system will need to make changes, the government will need to make changes, the insurance industry will need to make changes and the people will need to make changes. Free health care is a myth. They do not have free health care in Canada, England, France, Sweeden or anywhere else. Someone pays. Sooner or later we will have to face the fact that if America keeps getting fatter, America will loose and America will pay.

4. Sloth. America became a super power because Americans worked. I bounced from job to job for my first five years out of college. I was able to hold down a steady job for the last six years because I had an epiphany. I realized that I had to work. I do not like my company, but I don't have to. If I fall in love with my company, it will never love me back. I like the fact that I have a job and a paycheck. I love the type of work. I like what money provides for my family. Someone once said if your love your job, you will never work a day in your life. IT'S A BIG LIE. You have to work and it is not fun. We do not call it fun, or vacation or play, we call it work for a reason. Let's not reward people who do not work.

5. Greed. Why did the markets crash a few weeks ago? Fuel was too expesnive, housing was too expensive, food was too expensive. Wages have not increased very much over the past decade. Companies were making insane profits and not passing the loot on to the people who make it all happen. It had to come crashing down. Republicans got the blame for this one because of who is in the White House right now. If Gore or Kerry were in office, the dems would have been blamed.

6. Lust. When you claim to be the morally superior party, you have to be morally superior. Dems can get away with sex scandals, but GOPs can not.

7. Deceit. There are still some provisions of the Contract with America that have not passed. Specifically term limits and the BBA. If you say you are going to leave Congress after 12 years, Mr Hatch and Mr Bennett, keep that promise.

Huntsman 2012!